Wednesday, October 3, 2012

How people take Facebook seriously?

I am not of those fervent fans of social networks. Use sparingly. I know they are useful and interesting, I grew up professionally with them, give talks about. But I also know that they are time sinks. And my day is usually pretty full.


I have my blog for 10 years and did not hesitate to take a break when my health so requires. I chose not to use it as a source of income, but a showcase of my work and a place to share information for pleasure, not obligation.

I have a Twitter account since the beginning of the service, which I won for the convenience, speed and especially intimacy with the "mobile way of life." But if I'm out of time or without subject, without fear juice. I have a profile on LinkedIn. It took me to get into Foursquare, because he saw usefulness, and only when I joined I saw that helped me find cool places to eat while traveling and sightseeing. I have won much discount and free dessert and thanks him. Today really like the feature lists to planning trips.

But even that took me to dive head was Facebook. Once inside, it did not cost anything to join Google+ as well. The youngest is the ResearchGate, I use to track academic research in the area of ​​health. E arrives.

My relationship with Facebook is emblematic. I went out even when it was mainstream, and only surrendered even an obligation, when I joined the PapoTech and all discussions of the podcast came to be there.

Fanpage
At the end of last year, I created a profile but soon turned into fanpage to avoid the problem of limit people. There was at no time intended to use Facebook as a personal network, but rather as an extension of the work we've been doing on the web. I still prefer more personal social old-fashioned: real friends talk personally with each other, or by phone, SMS or maximum. Or WhatsApp also go there.

The problem is that I had to make a new profile in order to participate in discussion groups. I had no intention of using this profile, just wanted something to manage the system yourself. And then began the headaches: how Facebook has turned Orkut, non-tech friends and relatives (close or distant) did not understand that thing I do not add anyone, and ask that in lieu curtissem my fanpage. Soon won fame unsympathetic. Woe, woe. For the sake of family relationships, cedi. But just for them. Soon currents arise, the photos where I was scheduled without agreeing, and charges to post more personal things instead of professional ...

Heavens, how people take this seriously Facebook! Some people get without speaking because of posts, photos in which they are ugly or regretful because if photographed drunk or with inappropriate attire. There periguetes demonstrating false intimacy to get revenge on ex. And we have the ubiquitous pokes - those with indirect tone of that outburst now and then someone does not name names, but makes almost everyone wearing the cowl.

It was hard to explain to my family because my enthusiasm with social networks will only to a point, but over time the staff realized. I went from obnoxious just eccentric.

Some even heeded my advice. They stopped putting their homes as venues. They stopped to expose their children to the school uniform. They stopped making daily show a particular route from home to work carrying trocentos gadgets in the bag. "Ah, but only my friends are watching!" Oh yeah? Who guarantees?

With time flexibilizei me. But only a little. Either there is more personal photo. Why think so: if you go out in the rain, is to get wet. That's why all this discussion about Facebook privacy gives me a bit of laziness. Do not want to show up? Simple: you do not have Facebook account. Do not want to be bothered, do not want bisbilhotem your profile, do not want gossip? Exit the network. Yes, you can lock your posts and limit their views to certain groups, but I just do not believe in privacy in the little world online. And remember: before entering the world of Zuckerberg, you must agree with the rules it imposes.

You can make an analogy with the recent episode involving the Duchess of Cambridge. Do not want to appear on magazine covers with peitolas out? Simple, do not do topless. Yes, she was in a private place, is a right she has. But it was open. And the paparazzi do not give truce. As hackers can circumvent security Facebook profiles or Twitter, photojournalists can take advantage of the-art drones. I insist: she was on her right, in its intimacy. But being the wife of the royal heir, she has time, money and power to spare for whom she wants to sue if their privacy is violated. And we, ordinary mortals?